The Abbot Speaks
Si Valetis, Valeo
The intelligent promulgation of the Law of Thelema is of great interest to me and to anyone that wishes to live in a Thelemic world. I decided that a good place to begin to give examples of how at least THIS Thelemite sees Thelema where the rubber meets the road, would be to share some of the letters I have received over the last 30 years or so, with you.
This does not mean I feel as I have all the answers, nor do I seek to change anyone’s mind. Rather, my goal is to show others that it is OK to question how Thelema is applicable in any given real-life situation.
One of the biggest obstacles that stands in the way of actually understanding Thelema can be summed up by the following syllogism:
Crowley was a Thelemite.
Crowley was a magician.
Therefore, all Thelemites are magicians.
Yes, Crowley was a magician, and the Order of Thelemic Knights prepares people for magical work as well as using magick in initiation rituals. Magick is important. But even as Crowley stated, “The Law is for ALL.” For the banker, the janitor, the street sweeper, etc… NOT exclusively for the magician. Thelema is the TAO. It permeates every aspect of our existence on this little planet where Nuit gently rests her hands and feet.
My aim is to provoke and promote the idea that if one has accepted the Law of Thelema, they will find its application in everything from personal spirituality, to the mundane aspects that effects all of us as Brothers and Sisters sharing the same earth.
Out of respect (and for legal reasons) I have removed the names from these emails to protect their privacy. Conversely, if you write and I use your email or letter, I will not use your name.
I hope to make something newly available for you every week, so check back often. I hope you enjoy reading this column, and hope it inspires you to think of Thelema in your everyday life, and not just when you are wearing your beautiful robes.
While I do encourage communication, if you have questions or comments about any of these articles, please use the Round Tables discussion forums. Please note that any questions or discussions via email are likely to be used in future articles. I will not, of course, use your name or any other identifying information.
Lastly, the dreaded disclaimer. (Aw, geez… one of those here too?)
The materials on these pages constitute my opinion. They are my own and do not necessarily represent those of our Order. Additionally, like most other people with an open mind, my thoughts and opinions change from time to time as my knowledge and awareness expands.
These entries represent a point in time snapshot of the various emails and letters I have received from people in the last 30 years or so. As such, some thoughts and opinions expressed here may already be “dated”. I am confident the reader will no doubt be able to grasp the historical context wherein these questions and replies originated.
In other words, my opinions today may have changed and may not even resemble how I feel about them today.
There. I said it three times.
Here is list of topics covered so far in 2018:
- What Does It Mean to Be Brotherly or Sisterly?
- The Metaphysics of Sex and Misogyny
- On The Use of Drugs to Attain Gnosis
- The Pros & Cons of Working with Others
- How Thelema Avoids The Traps Of Religion
- Intellectual Honesty & The Few and The Secret
- Is Clairvoyance Just a Superstition?
- Losing My Religion and The Wood Chipper of The Soul
- Do Thelemites Embrace Humanity, or Do They Oppose it?
- What’s in a Word? – The Magical Motto
- What If I am an Atheist?
- Does “The Law is For All” Mean EVERYONE Can Attain Godhood?
- Autonomy, Co-Existing, Overlap, Clashing Stars and Right Action
- Gender Fluidity, Gender Roles and Evolution
- Why is Thelema better than any other religion?
- On “Strong Thelemites”
- Psychic Development
- How Can You Tell If One Is A Magician?
- Pet Peeves
- On Blaspheming The Divine
- How Do You Decide What is “Bad” and “Good?”
- God As Creator
- Why Does Magick “Fail”?
- The Ego & The Abyss
- Magick – Is That All There Is?
- Is Thelema or, Insert Non-Christian Paradigm Here, Satanism?
- Thoughts on Promulgating The Law of Thelema
- On Oaths – Their Keeping and/or Breaking
- Chivalry: Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow