Promulgating the Law of Thelema has been the topic of great controversy. There is a widespread opinion that the only way to promulgate the Law of Thelema is to introduce people to Crowley via some organization. The truth is people will more readily notice the Law as it is working through you while you are in the process of exercising your True Will.
Si Vales, Valeo
Thank you for your question. I am glad you are interested in letting others know about our path. Here are some things that might be helpful in clearing up some commonly misunderstood topics in promulgating the Law of Thelema.
1) Realize that you need others to survive and live well. You will need to depend on others. Others will need to depend on you. Contrary to the Nietzchean propaganda, it is a fact of life for humans. Therefore, be dependable.
2) Find a point of agreement. Until you have formed strong bonds and mutual respect, do not try arguing the things that are disagreed on. Don’t make alienation your first step. Strengthen relationships, and then argue like Brothers argue over battle plans.
3) Don’t be an attention whore. Operating within a peer group, you will get your head patted for doing a good thing. Dogs like having their heads patted. You are not a dog, and if you really are in this because you believe that Thelema is beautiful, then you won’t care about getting the credit. In fact, worrying about credit just dirties everything we touch and has been the demise of so many well intentioned groups. Ignore other attention whores, even if they profit from it.
4) Earn admiration: People aren’t stupid. We all tend to have good bullshit filters. Don’t try to impress. Instead, make them respect you by your actions and your words. To that end, make sure your talk matches your walk. Respect is a good motivator.
5) Speaking of talk, think before you speak. In order to work with others, you will need to know how to speak to them. Don’t be like that beautiful woman or handsome man at the bar that draws you in with a smile and a wink of an eye only to turn you off as soon as they open their mouth.
6) Learn to socialize. Enjoy the company of your people, and remember that they aren’t there to make you shine. Working with others is so much easier if you treat them like assets. People can be difficult, and they have their own reasons for that and may say things that are hurtful. Make sure not to jump to conclusions about what those reasons might be. Sometimes you might conclude that someone really hates something because they appear to be attacking it from every side, when in fact it is their profound love for it that makes them fight. Most of all, invest the time to understand people.
7) Question your leaders, and don’t criticize others for questioning your leadership. People will follow leaders they respect and believe in. You can’t make people love you. In the real world, people couldn’t care less about medals and lofty titles unless they are backed up by the ethos they represent.
8) Put The Work before yourself. I realize this might sound unThelemic, but you must realize that you are your Work. Without this realization you will never accomplish anything worthy of merit.
9) Be kind. Promulgating the Law of Thelema by getting people interested in Crowley is not how it is done. Rather, stand in opposition to socio-political issues which are diametrically opposed to the Law of Freedom. Don’t forget to support those things that are. Everything else is just toy soldiers, and barroom braggarts.